Monash Kanazawa In-country Program 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Withdrawing money

+2
osaka
james
6 posters

Go down

Withdrawing money Empty Withdrawing money

Post  james Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:56 am

Just thought I'd share my previous experience re accessing funds in Japan

I'm with Westpac, who don't have any reciprocal banks in Japan (not sure about other banks, but it might be worth checking). My Westpac ATM card has the Cirrus logo on it, which is handy, because at all the post offices (at least, all the ones I visited) there were ATMs which had Cirrus as well, so for a $5 fee (or thereabouts) I could withdraw funds. Apparently there are also similar ATMs at 7/11 etc

See http://japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html for more details (ie list what 7/11 and post office ATMs support)

james

Back to top Go down

Withdrawing money Empty Re: Withdrawing money

Post  osaka Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:07 am

...I spoke to peoplez at Commonwealth...I've got one of those cards with the maestro logo on it...and they said there's a $5 fee + 2% of the amount you withdraw...=.="...so i think i'm gonna stick with traveller checks???...

osaka

Back to top Go down

Post  james Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:43 am

Yeh, Westpac is $5 + 1.5% of the AUD amount. For $500, that ends up being about $10-$15. Travellers checks are free (apparently) from Australia Post, and from what I've read it's free to cash them at Japanese post offices (you can also cash them at banks - not sure about fees there).

james

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacinda Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:38 am

I work at an Aus Post (and a couple of months ago it was 100=$1 for JPY. Damn) It's about 85 right now because of the shitty rate. But the rates change daily so keep an eye on it and the cheques are free. I've used the cheques in the past travelling in North America and they had affiliated banks that did it for free. You can use the amex travellers cheque locator but pretty crappy (they used to just list the banks and locations).

However it's changed a lot since, 7/11s and Post Office do international ATM transactions. It used to be a pure cash economy (with the travellers cheques people could get a whole wad of money and won't worry about reaching a place with a cirrus/maestro logo). But I guess we should've asked this with the past students.

Otherwise, I guess the main danger is having travellers cheques but not knowing a place where you can cash them in without a fee. I'm not entirely sure myself. But I'd say cash most of them at Osaka and store them safely. Of course there's plenty of other options.

Jacinda

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 am

I actually just went to a travel agent today and she said that the other option of using travel cheques is to apply for a cash passport. It is like a prepaid credit card, will charge $3.75 per transaction and also charge 1% of the recharge amount everytime u recharge (best thing to do is to put the most amount in tehre and never have to recharge again). I'm not sure whether there will be a % charge on the amount withdrew, will have to double check with the travel agent.

yea, i was planning to withdraw money using my westpac debit card too but as being said, they will charge $5 per transaction and maybe conversion fees as well.

I am planning to bring as much in cahs + travel cheques as possible and keep the cards as back ups. I am not sure whether cashing travel cheques will be easy to cash in Japan though, i've never used one before ^^;..

Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

Travel cheques are pretty straightforward; you'll need your passport, and that's about it if I recall - the only problem is finding places to cash them in.

I'll be going with cash and cheques too, with card for an emergency. I'm planning on being pretty frugal with my money, but you never know!
Nathan
Nathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Joanne Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:34 pm

I'm going with cash and a card, gosh, isn't that dangerous XD so i need some of u to b my security guards ok? Jk Razz
Joanne
Joanne
Admin

https://monashkanazawaprog08.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacinda Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Joanne wrote:I'm going with cash and a card, gosh, isn't that dangerous XD so i need some of u to b my security guards ok? Jk Razz

Lol just buy those things that strap a bag to your stomach. Touristy, but effective and safe when you're moving to and fro. You wont need to wear it for long really but it's handier than a wallet sometimes (the person who's searched through a bag screaming "SHIIIIIT" in an airport to go "oh it was in the other pocket")

Jacinda

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:01 am

but those are easy target for pick-pocketing on a public trasport i think?

Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacinda Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:57 am

Michelle wrote:but those are easy target for pick-pocketing on a public trasport i think?

I meant the ones under your shirt. So I don't think they'd get to 2nd base if it were me Very Happy

Last edited by Jacinda on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jacinda

Back to top Go down

Post  Joanne Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 pm

lol its winter after all, so pack on those layers of clothes!
unless they get a knife to cut ur bag.. o_0 thats what i hear pickpockets do nowadays
i usually keep cash in my lugguage cash in jacket XD and cash in wallet with card
Joanne
Joanne
Admin

https://monashkanazawaprog08.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down